Sunday 24 May 2015

(If you’re reading this, please organize an intervention …..)
 
.... last Thursday night, I’m wending my way through the construction maze surrounding the parking garage at Square One.  Through the top of the windshield I can just make out the silhouette of a large bird in flight.  The bird is actually so far out of my field of vision I have to lean into the steering wheel and peer through the top edge of the windshield to see anything.  

Which I do.
My first glimpse, I can tell it’s not a seagull.

Quick glance down at the roadway.  Lean forward and peer through the top the windshield.
Second glimpse, I can tell it’s not a crow.

Another quick glance down at the roadway.   Lean forward again and peer through the top of the windshield a third time.

The light has changed a tad and the bird has shifted just enough into profile that I can now tell it’s a Great Blue Heron.

Another quick glance down at the roadway …. just in time to stomp on the brakes and stop the car from plowing in the back of a grey pick-up truck making a left-hand turn in front of me …….

“……… but your Honor, it was a Great Blue Heron flying over the Square One parking garage!”
I think I need help.